Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Tyler - For Your Birthday


I'm no poet. I'm just a dad who is pretty sappy sometimes. I get choked up thinking about my kids growing up. My son, Tyler, is turning six years old tomorrow. Because I am so sappy, I wrote a poem for my son on his sixth birthday. Here it is. As far as poetry goes, it's pretty pathetic. Anyway, here it is:

Little guy, just writing this makes me tear up.
You're six years old and growing up.
Yesterday we brought you home,
Tomorrow we know that you'll be grown.

I felt the need to write you, son.
You need to know when all's said and done
That your dad loves you more than you'll know
And that his hope is that one day you'll grow
To be a joyful man who loves
His family and God above
All earthly joys and treasures here;
That no man's worthy of your fear.

Someday, I pray, you'll love your wife
And use the word that's like a knife
To lead your family in the way
Of holiness and learn to pray
Like Jesus did - the One who hid
The word and fought the Devil with
What He had stored up in His heart.
Tyler, our God has made you smart.
So use your mind to glorify
The maker of the earth and sky.

Don't waste you life on things that rust,
Nor build up all your hope and trust
On shadows that don't satisfy
But on Jesus who gives true life.

You're like your dad in many ways.
I used to hope it was a phase,
But in six years it's gotten worse.
It's nothing that we can reverse.
So maybe I can help you to
Avoid some things that I still do.

There's still some time to spend with you.
And when we're done I want you to
Be sure your dad loves you so much
That he's in awe that God gave such
A precious gift of love to Him.

I hope there'll be more words to come
From me to you if God gives some.
For now, another year's gone by.
Happy birthday, my little guy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a precious gift for a father to give his son...

Mark Redfern said...

O Captain, my Captain,

I knew there was a poet in you.

May you continue to sound your barbaric yawps on the rooftops of the world!

Vinnie Beichler said...

Walt Whitman (I had to look that up)