Monday, December 19, 2005

Help!


The good news: I just got a $30 gift certificate to Barnes and Noble and I can get any book I want. The bad news: I just got a $30 gift certificate to Barnes and Noble and I can get any book I want. Now I have to make a decision! I need your help. I need suggestions. Let me narrow it down for you. I want something in the following categories:

1. Systematic theology
2. Historical theology / biography
3. Homiletics / pastoral theology

No Piper, no MacArhur, no Edwards, dead rather than living, puritan rather than anything else. You can see some other books that I have already ready here.

Ready...go!

6 comments:

GeneMBridges said...

Classic: Steven Charnock: The Existence and Attributes of God

Holy Scripture, the Ground and Pillar of our Faith by David King and William Webster. The essayists are all living, but that's not the point. The point is that they detail the doctrine of Sola Scriptura and pull directly from the Ante-Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers. Unless you want to purchase the ANF/PNF set of 38 volumes and do the legwork yourself, this is the best volume you'll find. It's the best single treatment of Sola Scriptura I know.

The Reformed
Pastor
, by Richard Baxter

Institutes of Elenctic Theology, by Francis Turretin (3 Volumes)

Biblical Theology, by John Owen

Biblical Theology Geerhardus Vos

See also here: http://www.apuritansmind.com/SuggestedLibraryAdvanced.htm

and here:

http://www.apuritansmind.com/SuggestedLibrary.htm

Vinnie Beichler said...

Thanks, Gene!

Vinnie Beichler said...

Mark,

Thanks, but I heard it was 900 pages. Also, you should probably read my book, "Get a Life"! :)

Mark Redfern said...

What about "The Purpose-Driven Life?" If you include the prayer journal, key chain, flavored mints, and business cards, it will probably total around $30.

Or, you could get Grudem's Systematic. I know he is alive, but it's good.

If you want someone whose body is in the ground but whose soul is in the presence of Jesus, get some Banner of Truth paperbacks.

Thaumastos said...

You could read other peoples books, but how do you know their conclusion are correct? So I suggest, Hermeneutics: Principles and Processes of Biblical Interpretation by Henry A. Virkler. Then you can make your own conclusions as to what is right or wrong.
(Just a note, you may want to skip chapt. 2, confusing at best)

Anonymous said...

Vin
a little late here but since you are not blogging of late (what are you busy or something?) :)
Let me recommend an author - Andrew Murray - or perhaps MLJones.